Off the Grid Catering Frequently Asked Questions
Interested in having Off the Grid cater your next event, come to your office or participate in your festival? The following FAQ will help answer some of your initial questions. Once you’ve read through we can move forward with your event. All events are unique with different budgets, goals and requirements. We will work with you to find a catering solution to meet your needs.
1. I’m getting married and interested in a mobile food truck for our reception, rehearsal dinner or post reception feast.
-First, congratulations! Our trucks can be booked for daytime and evening events with a minimum lead time of three weeks. We will work with your venue to handle parking, permitting, arrival, departure and placement of your truck. Cost for booking a Mobile Food truck ranges from $1,500-$3,000 (this is an estimate given without knowing headcount or menu choice) Booking San Francisco based trucks outside San Francisco (For Example: Sonoma County) may increase your cost due to travel time and gasoline costs.
2. My company is having an employee appreciation event, company picnic or client event for 200 to 300 people. We would like each guest to receive one full meal including a drink from a truck. We would like to have two or three trucks on site for guests to choose from.
-We highly recommend creating a ticket system for your guests to help control cost, food consumption and to provide us with an accounting system on the back end. Each guest would receive one ticket good at any of the trucks. Attendees choose one meal and a drink from the truck of their choice. Depending on truck and menu choice, trucks would each require a minimum of between $1,500 and $3,000. Giving the guests the option of trucks, some trucks may go over the minimum and others may not. Differences will be billed to the client. We will return all tickets to you at the end of the day allowing you to see exactly what was served. With this option you can expect to pay between $10 and $15 per person. Off the Grid requests a lead time of four to eight weeks for an event of this size.
3. We are throwing an event and would like to have between three and six trucks to serve a tasting menu for guests. We would like our guests to taste different items from a number of trucks.
-Together with the client, we will create a ticket system for the guests. We can provide guests with one ticket for each truck (color specific) or a number of generic tickets (each good for one taste from any truck). A ticket system will allow us to control the amount of food consumed by each guest and will give us an accurate count at the end of your event. We can also create a dessert and/or drink coupon. Without knowing menu and truck choices, generally trucks will each require a $1,500 and $3,000 minimum. Trucks will collect and return all tickets after the event. If the minimum is not met, the difference will be billed to the client. No food or beverages are given to take home nor will gift certificates issued to make up for not meeting the full minimum. If the client requires printing and/or graphics to be handled by OtG costs will be billed to client. With the tasting option, clients can expect costs to run between $18 and $30 per guest. Off the Grid requests a lead time of six to twelve weeks for an event of this size.
4. We have a street festival, park event or other large, outdoor gathering and would like to create an Off the Grid style event with more than five trucks onsite.
- Off the Grid has extensive experience with permitting and managing gourmet mobile vehicles and markets. We can work with you to meet the needs of most street festivals or outdoor events including but not limited to street closures, meter/parking space reservation, floor plans and layouts. We work with an upwards of 45 mobile food vendors in the bay area. Off the Grid operates on a win-win philosophy with our vendors, and seeks to support small businesses and provide sustainable income for our vendors. We have experience permitting markets and catering trucks in San Francisco, Cupertino, San Mateo, Emeryville, Oakland and other bay area municipal properties. Depending on the needs of the event, OtG has the capacity to provide infrastructure to events such as staffing, musicians, seating, security, lighting, etc. Off the Grid is proud of our track record of running safe, sustainable and unique events. We are happy to provide references upon request. Off the Grid requests a lead time of 8 to 16 weeks for an event of this size.
5. We are hosting an event and do not want to use tickets. We want guests to be able to eat as they wish. How do we pay for a service like that?
-Each truck is an independently owned business and operates in a unique fashion with different product, staff size, food costs, etc. We would work with you to determine the correct amount of food for each truck to have on hand depending on attendance, menu size, and number of trucks. We would ensure that trucks do not run out of food, slow in production or turn people away. When we ask trucks to stop counting and just serve, it is considered a buy-out. To buy out a truck you will pay more than a controlled situation, but your guests do not deal with tickets and eat whatever they would like.
6. We work in an area with no lunch options and our business park is interested in bringing Off the Grid vendors to our parking lot once or twice a week for lunch service.
- We are always looking to expand our locations and are happy to talk with you about the size of your facility, days of desired service, number of offices nearby and access from the immediate bay area.
7. Can we throw an event at your current Off the Grid events, such as Upper Haight or Fort Mason Center?
- We are open to discuss all event ideas, suggestions and requests but do maintain our commitment to our market communities. We strive to keep consistency and reliability on the forefront of our work. With that in mind we look for new partnerships and opportunities where possible. If you’re interested in hosting a special event within our current event, please think about holding the event prior to or after an existing market, not necessarily during our existing hours. As a general rule of thumb OtG is not a fan of: VIP area, exclusive sections, line cutting and or market buyouts unless it is for our grandma.
8. I’m confused by the wide range in minimums and pricing listed above.
-We hesitate to put arbitrary pricing on the trucks because more often than not the initial quote changes and we try our best to avoid surprises. We offer a wide variety of services from turn key events to simply blocking a row of meters. We do not have hidden charges. We maintain a transparent cost breakdown for each event. After we get through initial conversations with you regarding your event, we will provide you with a proposal and contract. Our contracts clearly spell out exactly what we are doing for you and how much it will cost.
9. Do you have vegan, gluten free or other food restrictive diet options?
-Yes, yes and yes! We have a number of trucks who can meet most dietary restrictions and will work with you to ensure menus meet the needs of your guests.
10. Do I need to worry about Insurance or Health and Fire Permits for the trucks?
-Off the Grid requires all trucks to provide current health permits and fire inspections. We also require all trucks to supply their current seller’s permit. OtG carries a $2,000,000 umbrella liability policy for our events which we would attach any relevant property owner names to. In addition, all of our vendors carry a minimum of 1 million dollars liability coverage. We are happy to provide copies of documents as necessary.